Sunday 6 March 2016

Visiting Up North in Norway



I never really knew what to expect when I travelled to "Harstad" earlier this year, for a DJ gig. Harstad is the second-most populated municipality in Troms county, and is the third largest city in the North of Norway. Harstad is also located in the midst of the northern lights zone.

I never really got the chance to travel around Norway besides from small trips out of Oslo and ten years ago when I was visiting Tromsø for a film-festival. I guess like many other Norwegians, I take the nature around us for granted and tend to travel to other countries when I have the time.

Harstad is the most charming, little town with friendly people and beautiful sunrises. I would never imagine that the scenery would be so serene and beautiful, and the calm sense of the nature surrounding the city makes it a perfect break from the busy and sometimes stressed out scene in Oslo.

Apart from the beautiful nature, Harstad also offers cute coffee and diner places, beer breweries, tons of local after-parties and clubs where a lot of the British military men seem to hang out!
You can take the boat to Tromsø where you can do whale-sightseeing, theres reindeer you can visit (and even taste) and there are tons of beautiful spots to take hikes - it does not get more Norwegian then that!

I was DJing at a place called City Bar & Diner which has been running for over 10 years. They have a dancefloor/nightclub upstairs and below they have a diner and a bar.




View from where I was staying

Cute little Thai-food stall in the middle of town


Utheim, the towns oldest pub



 Scenery from the top of the hill in Harstad



Roadtrip!





City bar & Diner




Beautiful Trondenes Kirke







No comments: